Sunday, July 20, 2014

Houston Penetrable by Jesus Rafael Soto



My son, granddaughter and I went to see the Houston Museum of Fine Arts major exhibition this summer.  Housed in the center of Cullinan Hall, the work consists of 24,000 polyvinyl chloride (plastic tubes) hang from a two-story high ceiling.  Visitors are invited to walk through the tubes, touch them, move them.

I expected the piece, which the Museum calls one of the great marvels of contemporary art, to be much larger.  When we walked into the hall, my son stared at the piece and said, "Is this it?"  Clearly we expected something grander or something that spoke to us as one expects art to do.

I wasn't even sure it was art.  Yes, it's experimental, but even experimental art should be meaningful.  As I walked through it, this sort of reminded me of a fun house maze, a pretty one, but what does it mean?  If you have suggestions or comments, please let me know.


Note:  Since this began as a widows' blog, for the next 11 Thursdays, I'm going to post one of my Top Eleven Tips for Navigating Widowhood.

Yes, I know many of you aren't widows, but you may be someday because  women have much higher chance to become widows than men.  Did you know that, in every species from humans to fruit flies (yes, even fruit flies) females outlive males.  So many of these tips apply if you're widowed or not.  Some of them are things I wish I'd done before I even thought I'd be a widow.  So stop by Thursday and take a look.

0 comments:

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary - Affordable Custom Blog Design © 2011