Sunday, June 21, 2015

Books of May

I'm a bit late (no, a lot late) with May book reviews, but I've been dealing with a flooded house, the worry that Tropical Storm Bill would cause another flood, and living in a 5-bedroom home where all my furniture is piled in the middle of the rooms except my bed, my breakfast room table and chairs and the chair to my built-in desk.  And of course, the sheet rock is torn out two feet up from the floor...and I still can't find my salt and pepper shakers.  Anyway, on to the books I read last month.

A stranger visits various people and whispers secrets that change their lives.  Implausible and weird.  I could not suspend my disbelief for even a minute.  Read at your own risk.

This is another weird book, a supposedly modern-day version of the myth of Castor and Pollux.  The twins in this story were so identical and so confusing, I couldn't make sense of  it at all.  Another read-at-your-own-risk book.  Sorry, Scott Turow, I used to love your work.

I heard Geoff Dyer read from his book, and I bought it the next day.  As a resident writer for two weeks aboard an aircraft carrier, he describes all aspects of aircraft-carrier life in hilarious detail.  Some Amazon reviewers felt he was disrespectful of the ship and crew, but I loved it and laughed all the way through it.

 
 
A college student interviews a condemned killer who is dying of cancer and becomes intrigued by his story.  Okay but not great.
 

I love Liane Moriaty's books, and this one didn't disappoint.  What happens after a wife finds a note her husband meant for her to read after his death?  A fun read.
 
The White House as viewed by the "little" people who work there, as cooks, butlers, florists, housekeepers, etc.  Moderately interesting.
 
Happy Reading!

0 comments:

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary - Affordable Custom Blog Design © 2011