Sunday, November 22, 2015

Giving Thanks

As the holiday approaches, I am pausing to give thanks for the past year.  It's been a time of ups and downs, but I think I've survived the downs and cherished the ups. 

I reached a milestone birthday on May 23, and my birthday weekend was one of the best I've ever had, with family and friends and lots of cake.

Monday after my birthday was Memorial Day.  I went to bed while outside thunder rolled. Then early in the morning my doorbell rang and I stepped into water.  My house was flooded and I was in shock.  But I was lucky.  I didn't lose anything valuable or treasured and friends called to offer support, and the neighbors banded together as we all assessed our damages and commiserated with one another. 

I'm thankful I was able to sell my house "as is" without much trouble and to move to a comfy apartment only a few blocks away. (The one drawback is that my cat has to pay pet rent, and he just lies around and expects me to support him with food and money.)  I'm looking forward to moving to Brazos Tower at the end of December--well, not to the actual moving part but to my new, permanent home.  The cat, of course, is coming, too, and since he's not a dog, he is not required to have an interview to be okayed to move in.

I'm thankful for old friends who reappeared in my life and for new friends, especially my widows' group, which has bonded and supported one another.

I'm thankful my kids and I are healthy, that I still enjoy my professional life as a speech pathologist.  And thank goodness I had a great adjuster after the flood and have finally gotten my insurance check...and, with the move to Brazos Tower, I will never have to buy flood insurance again

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, everyone.

0 comments:

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary - Affordable Custom Blog Design © 2011